Prestigious scholars program seeks 12 top public high school juniors and 12 dynamic educators to receive seven-day, all-expenses-paid scholarships to attend the Aspen Ideas Festival, June 26 – July 2, 2011.
The program – which provides a remarkable leadership opportunity for students and educators – seeks independent thinkers, demonstrated leaders and engaged community members.
Past Bezos Scholars met with retired Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor, Secretaries of Education Arne Duncan and Margaret Spellings, oceanographer Sylvia Earle, inventor Dean Kamen, Tom’s Shoe’s founder Tom Mycoskie and journalist Thomas Friedman, among many other notables.
Aspen Ideas Festival Inspires Replication: Following attendance at the Aspen Ideas Festival, the student/educator scholar teams will return home and create Local Ideas Festivals in their schools.
Bezos scholars program schools criteria
- Public High School (including Charter and Magnet schools)
- At least 25% of students are eligible for free/reduced lunch program. This is a firm cut-off.
- Offers Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate or the opportunity to take college/community college courses
Bezos scholars program scholar criteria
The criteria below are firm. We will only accept applications from students enrolled in public schools.
- Demonstrates leadership in school and community
- Scored exceptionally well on PSAT/SAT/or ACT
- Taking Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate classes or college/community college courses
- GPA of 3.5, or higher
- Public high school junior during the 2010-2011 academic year
- Legal U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Availability of student & educator on all dates
Application deadline: February 11, 2011
Visit www.bezosfamilyfoundation.org/scholars to review the school and scholar criteria, view videos, and to download the FAQs, poster, application and more.